this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
What makes you sing?
Monday, October 16, 2006

No really....and I'm not talking about the few of you that read this that fancy themselves "singers" (although I won't ban you from commenting). I'm also not talking about karaoke-ers, where some drunk friend in a bar writes your name down on piece of paper with the song "Baby Got Back" written underneath it, so that the KJ (Karaoke Jockey) calls out your name and a bunch of people try to push you up on stage to hear your masterful rapping styles.

I'm talking about when you pull up to a stop light, window rolled down, with your favorite song on the car radio blaring, the rest of us in traffic experiencing hearing loss while you sing along louder than the original. Or when you're in the shower and you forget that you have roommates and the water flow from your RotoMassageJet hits the exact spot on your ass that makes you feel the need to test the reverb of the bathroom walls with your loudest rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner". Or when you're your just sitting in your office and eyeing the Post It notes on your desk makes you decide to sing out "The Post will come out TOMORROW!" intentionally butchering the lyrics for no apparent reason.

I just wanna know what it is that MAKES you sing? I don't get it. Once in awhile I may be caught mumbling the melody of one my favorite tunes as it plays on the radio, but putting it out there for the world to hear me never happens. Did you just fall in love? Quit the job you hated for the last 10 years? Watch your child walk for the first time? Eat a really good piece of baklava? C'mon give it....what's up with you?

Is there something wrong with me? Seriously, I've been looking for a reason to sing but nothing does it. And I'm not saying there aren't great things in my life to sing over, I just don't do it. I use to?

Next time your catch yourself singing, ask yourself "why?" Then tell me the answer, please.
posted by othur-me @ 4:40 PM  
12 Comments:
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    I sing because I like silly rhymes and I like the sound of my own voice when it can be projected with great volume.

    Even though you didn't ask, 4 out of 10 times (also known as 2/5)you will catch me singing:
    THAT'S GREAT IT STARTS WITH AN EARTHQUAKE BIRDS AND SNAKES AND AEROPLANES AND LENNY BRUCE IS NOT AFRAID... or

    Something by Kenny Rogers. Sad. I know.

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Killer said…

    I have been thrown out of a bar for singing way too loudly (and on top of the table), The Cranberries, "Zombie".
    It is like a disease, when I hear that song I can not help singing.

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger dork girl said…

    Most of the time I sing just because the song is so dam good and the better the song the louder I sing but never at a stop light with the windows rolled down and I will say its hard to do if I am in a bad mood or sad.

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Blogger Jester said…

    There is never a time that there is no song in my head, some lyric bouncing around, some great hook, or some fantastic guitar lick.

    I sing when I'm eating, driving, dancing, walking, working... basically when I'm not sleeping. Though I might sing in my sleep, but no one has told me that it's a problem.

    Most of the time, unless someone points it out, I don't know I'm doing it. I've had people come up to me out of the blue and comment on my voice, and I had had no idea that I was serenading them.

    Why?

    I think I sing because I breathe. And I breathe so I can sing.

    Remember that the next time we're at Lyons. You want me to stop, choke me.

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous fringes said…

    I hum, I've been told very loudly, to the music in my headphones while I am at work. It helps pass the time and I have fewer thoughts of hanging myself in my cubicle. If I'm having a not-so-bad day, I suppose the humming gets louder and mean co-workers enter my cubicle to tell me to shut up. I then remember I hate it here and the singing stops. For a minute. I really like my headphones.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger hamster_grrl said…

    That's a good question, man. I sing all the time in the car and at home and with bands at concerts, and I can't seem to help it. I sing when I am being silly with friends and if I am excited about whatever it is I am doing, even if it is just making soup.

    I can't say I am always in a good mood when I am singing, sometimes singing with an angry song really loud in the car is quite cathartic. I have even sung in my car (I am a big car singer) while crying my eyes out over a horrible break-up.

    So I would say that I sing to express whatever emotion the song inspired that needs to be let out.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Liz - also known as 276/690. The Gambler or Islands in the Stream?

    Killer - that might actually be the beer singing.

    Windy - thanks for stopping by. What do you sing?

    Jester - you don't count. You can actually sing.

    Fringes - headphones can be dangerous things for people who can't sing, but listen to their Ipod in public.

    Hamster-grrl - what's a good soup making song?

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    Othur,

    You've got to know when to hold 'em.

    This does not pertain to my most recent boob inspired post on Killer Rants.

    Or does it?

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger LC said…

    I am with Jester on this one. There is no moment when I am not playing a song in my head.

    And I burst out singing when people (and myself) least expect it.

    I call my boss over the speakerphone and sing to him.

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger othur-me said…

    LC - I'm at extension 2531. Let her rip!

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    I have a patient who has requested a daily 8am wake up call. Instead of calling her over the nurse call system and saying "Ms. Doe, it's 8 am." I call her over the nurse call system and sing to her. This week was Rolling Stones week.Last week was Dixie Chicks week.

    I also sing because it feels good!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.