this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
Old Loves (In More Ways Than One)
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
When I was a sophomore in high school, I couldn't have been cooler. Always walking around school in my ripped jeans and Salvation Army flannel shirts. The shaved head and skateboard rounded out the look. I practically had my choice of any girl I wanted. Well...any freshman girl. Well....any freshman girl that liked skaters (much less a fad then it is today). Well.....let's face it....there weren't too many willing to swim in my dating pool.

Though, there was a girl named Jen that was willing and I actually had to talk her into breaking up with her boyfriend to go out with me. Probably my biggest dating victory ever. Sophomore high school male that I was, we dated for about three and half weeks before I felt like I was being smothered. I didn't realize at the time it's not so bad to have someone love you too much.

My memories of that relationship have been frequent lately because I ran into Jen's best friend (best friend in HS, not anymore), Angela. She was always super nice to me and I think she had a crush on me while I was dating Jen. She always showed a little too much interest in our relationship.

I have spent the last couple Mondays hanging out at the bar where Angela works. You see, the tides have turned. The crush is now crushing the opposite direction. I will probably never do anything real about this attraction (I'm a little too passive in my love life, probably just life in general), but I want to put it out there because while this longing exists it will be hard for me to show affection for another.

Especially Dill*.

I'm sorry Dill, it won't work. I have too much invested in Angela to let go of it just yet. I didn't mean to mislead you . It was fantastic when you got down on your knees and serenaded me with "You've Lost That Loving Feeling". I know that hanging out in a karaoke bar just off Polk St. in San Francisco may have given you the wrong impression, but I'm just not up for a moustache ride (even as magnificent as yours was). Another time, another place, things could have been different. Wait.....no.....no they couldn't have.

*Tales of Dill and I, with pictures, will surely begin to pop up all over the internet. Especially in the blogs linked on the left here. For those of you not in attendance tonight, I think I will leave a little mystery surrounding the episode where I left my comfort zone of Angela's bar and opted for Monday Night Blogger Karaoke Madness. I'm sure though She Walks and Jester will fill in all the blanks for you in upcoming posts on their sites. Jester will for sure?

UPDATE: Because my transition from Angela to Dill may have been a little too cryptic. The story of Dill is: Monday night some of my band friends and blog friends and their friends and I went to Karaoke at The Encore in San Francisco. A drunken night of singing madness it was. A highlight from that night was when a strange, old gay man with a huge moustache serenaded me on his knees with "You've Lost That Loving Feeling". Torture for me, hilarity for everyone else. See She Walks for the entire story of the night.
posted by othur-me @ 1:49 AM  
11 Comments:
  • At 3:02 AM, Blogger Jester said…

    oh, there will be posts. I'm just too tired at the moment. Look for something tomorrow. especially after K sends me the photos.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous fringes said…

    I guess I'm waiting for the photos. I'm one of those dumb-until-visuals people. Does Angela know who you are yet?

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Does she know who I am? Absolutely, we chat like old friends. Does that matter? Probably not.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Lisa said…

    Oh no...you can't give up on Dill so soon. His dedication to you made me believe in love again. Maybe he's there right now singing a song to an empty chair...

    "You don't send me floweerrrrss...you don't write me love songs...."

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Lisa - on my part there may have been a little love lost when he tried to get Michael naked.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    Jerry! ASK HER(Angela) OUT! (he better ask her out, grr!)

    P.S. The pics are great! (I looked at them on She Just Walks With It)............I kinda feel sorry for Dill. I don't know why, I just do. Bless his heart!

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger rawbean said…

    You list me after the Dill thing.

    But I do have a comment on skaters. When I was in junior high I had a huge crush on a skateboarder from another school (the bad ass school). He didn't know I existed. Okay he knew, but he just wanted to skateboard. THEN I got my Sassy magazine in the mail and there was an article about how skaters are asexual. SO TRUE. You bastards.

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger rawbean said…

    dammit, that should be "You lost me after the Dill thing."

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Rawbean - the confusing redirect was a cheap way to get you to read my friends' blogs. A bunch of us went out last night to karaoke and an old gay guy sang "You've lost that loving feeling" to me". The story is on She Walks (with pictures). It was really funny (at least to the other people). Jester will also have a posting on it.

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Jane - I'll think about it (and think about).

     
  • At 12:57 AM, Blogger Killer said…

    I lived in San Francisco for a while and I got hit on relentlessly by gay guys. I don't know if it is my sexy, over weight, hairy body, or maybe the assless chaps I always wore.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.