this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
The Forge In The Forest
Monday, October 30, 2006


So, I got this puppy last week and because I had forgotten how hard they are to take care of and because my roommate is doing a little back-peddling on his promise to help, my friend April offered to take my older dog, Soldier, for the week. I drove down to Monterey yesterday to drop him off and April and I decided to get some lunch and see a movie while I was down there.

I got to April's house about 1:30 pm and after a few minutes of letting April play with the new puppy, we left the dogs in her house and went to get some food. We did the usual responsibility-shuffle over who decided what and where to eat. You know the dance. "What do you want to eat?" "I don't care, I can eat anything, what do you feel like?" Rinse and repeat. No one really wanting to take credit if it was a bad choice.

As we were driving aimlessly, trying to decide, April had this great idea to call and see if The Forge In The Forest (TFIF) was open. TFIF is in Carmel, the home of Brad and Jennifer while they were together. It's a cool little (and super wealthy) beach town just south of Monterey, famous for being the only town in America brave enough to let the outlaw, Josey Wales be its mayor. The Spanish also built a famous mission (Mission Carmel, duh) there, since the arrival of Brad and Jennifer and the mayorship of Dirty Harry, the Mission does almost nothing for Carmel's modern tourism trade.

Carmel also fancies itself a dog-friendly city. The beach in carmel has poop bags for your convenience at every entrance and all the shops downtown allow dogs inside. There are also many dog friendly restaurants. We decided to turn around and get the dogs. TFIF is an upscale restaurant which has a dog patio where you can dine while your dog sits at your table. When they bring you your water service, they also bring a bowl for your dog(s). They give away free dog biscuits and they even have a doggy menu, which is actually reasonbly priced considering its for your dog. It includes grilled chicken, hamburger, and sirloin steak.

I was a little worried about Soldier, because he gets nervous and aggressive when he's on leash and other dogs are around. He likes to be able to go wander around and play with other dogs and it upsets him to be restricted. At first I left him in the car until I could see the conditions and when I saw that we weren't TOO close to other dogs, I brought him in. He did really well, especially when his hamburger arrived.

Rebel wasn't bothered at all he just sat there chewing on his Kong, which I kept restuffing with chicken and hamburger. He got a lot of attention from the waitresses at the restaurant. Puppies are a total chick magnet.

April and I split two appetizers which I thought were only mediocre. We had fondue in a sourdough bowl with apples and bread for dipping. I thought it lacked flavor. I had to add salt to every bite and I'm not a big salter. We also had a deep fried onion flower and I thought it was cut too small. Every time you tried to grab a bit of onion, there wasn't enough substance to the piece of onion to pull it off before the batter slipped off the petal and left the onion on the stem and the fried batter in your fingers. It was annoying and I think both Chili's and Outback Steakhouse do it better and I hate those places.

We also split a sand dab sandwich which was just okay. I think we may have just ordered wrong. They probably have food on their menu that was better than what we ordered. It sucked that we managed to pick three bad ones. I really hope those are the only bad ones, because I do like the idea of the restaurant. I also have friends who have been there before and loved it. So, I say give it a try....pooch or no pooch.
posted by othur-me @ 5:01 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Sushi the Mermaid said…

    Good restaurant review!

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Killer said…

    That almost makes me want to go out and buy a dog.
    But, then I remembered that I currently have two pet plants, and they are often too much responsibility for me.
    I like the name "The Forge in the Forest". It sounds like a black smith's place.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    Do they allow cats in this place?

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Sushi - that's why they call me Othurme Zagat.

    Killer - bring your plants to the restaurant. I'm sure they will be happy to water them for you.

    Jane - it only says dogs, but I bet they would let you bring in a cat if you signed a waiver saying the We-Ping is on his own when the dogs start chasing him.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.