this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
What Would A Caveman With A Seafood Allergy Eat?
Monday, August 14, 2006
With nothing better to talk about today I'm going to write today about how I think the cavemen of the Northern California coast were geniuses. I was thinking about what I'm going to eat for dinner tonight. Frozen crap sucks, eating out as often as I do gets too expensive, I have hamburger meat, but nothing to go with it. I think I'll stop at the store and get a vegetable. How about an artichoke?

I love artichokes, but I really want to know how the first person to eat one figured it out?

Scene: Caveman sitting on a Monterey Peninsula beach hungry and thinking about what to eat for dinner (sound familiar?)

Errrgh (Caveman): Uggh.....me not want no fish no more! Me sick of abalone! Me want something green to eat!

Uggh (Caveman's Wife): Errrgh, how about one of these delicious fresh vegetables native and plentiful in our homeland? Also, with the exception of that green prickly flower pod thing, all very easy to prepare?

Errrgh: No, woman. Me want the most difficult one to eat! I get pod thing.

Uggh: Men!

(Errgh makes way to the artichokes and grabs for one)

Errgh: OW! These hurt Errrgh. Prick Errrgh's finger! (picks one anyway and takes a bite like an apple)

Errgh: Very tough....much like dried mammoth hides!

Uggh: Let me boil that for you (throws it in boiling water).

Errgh: (takes another bite) Still not good! Hurt Errgh's jaw to chew. And what is all this crap in middle? (spits out stringy choke at center)

Uggh: Honey, try an avocado.

Errgh (determined): NO! Errgh want green stringy tough pod thing with prickly things on outside!

Uggh: Men!

How anyone ever got through all the crappy layers of artichoke to discover the delicious meat at the heart of it is beyond me. I'm off to dinner!

posted by othur-me @ 4:41 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Jester said…

    I think it's a matter of being stubborn. If it's that hard to get to, handle, and prepare, it must be good.

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger othur-me said…

    I would think.....well...the leaves are in edible, the choke is in edible, the stem sucks....there can't be anything left?

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger don't call me MA'AM said…

    I love artichokes! And I'm just glad that someone else suffered through the difficult part to make it easier for me. :-)

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger othur-me said…

    dcmm - me too.

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Blogger Killer said…

    Ahh, the good ol days. When you could hit a hot cave chick over the head, drag her back to your home and make her cook anything you could find.
    I bet when times where tough a cave man would bring home a handful of rocks and tell her to, "cook em up real good."

     
  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Killer - the good old days? Just old are you? The good old days for me involve cassette tapes, walkmen, and cheese I had to shred myself. Nevermine...those are the bad old days.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.