this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
Friday, August 11, 2006

I am completely unable to fathom how much shit I can accumulate, without realizing when I obtain it that I live in a 900 square foot house (with a roommate) and that there will likely be no good place for me to keep said shit. Fashionista that I am (not), (somehow) I have too many clothes to fit in the dresser, night stand, and 3 closets I have to keep them in. I have more computer wires than I have devices or necessary connections for and when you factor in that I'm a musician and I feel the need to buy a new cable everytime I'm at the music store, my spare bedroom/computer room is electric-spaghetti hell. I also don't understand why I have 5 (very useable) comforters and only one bed. Then I remembered that since I've moved in to my house I've been to Bed, Bath & Beyond about 5 times. Not so coincidental? Apparently every time I'm there I feel the need to buy a new comforter.

I've taken a good long look around my house and have decided to put it in order. I mean, where am I going to put the next batch of shit I need to obtain. Where to start? Okay...how about taking 4 of those comforters and putting them in the storage shed? Well, I can't just throw them in there, I need to put them in something to keep them clean. It's not like I was smart enough to keep the plastic cover they come with. I'm sure I could find something to store them in at.....oh shit.....Bed, Bath & Beyond. Okay... go, but walk in, get what you need, and walk out...no new comforters.

Hey look! There's a parking spot right in front! I grab my cart, walk through the doors and .....:::HAZE:::. Hey, I could use one of those. And those too. I like that too. Hey, Paul (my roommate) needs one of those. I better get two.

Apparently I need one of just about everything BBB sells. I went for storage bags and ended with $200 worth of this:

2 of these Which in the process of writing this post I discoverd I could have gotten at half the price at OfficeMax
1 of something that looked like this except with a red shade
1 of these In an attempt to increase my drawer space
1 of these Which a friend told me I could get at 1/6th the price at Target
1 of these For some idiotic reason I thought this would maxize the space in my 3 full closets
6 of these WHAT I CAME FOR
1 of these Shopping makes me hungry
2 of these Butter is an issue in our house and I plan on solving it. Don't ask.

Hey, look! NO NEW COMFORTER?!?!

So it amounts to this:
1) I have issues.
2) I love/hate Bed, Bath and Beyond.
3) I don't have any idea how to bargain shop.
4) I can't enter a store without buying more than I came for.
5) I apparently really love comforters and now I have enough storage bags to buy 2 more.
posted by othur-me @ 11:26 AM  
11 Comments:
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    It sounds like a good start to getting organized.
    I wish I lived next door so that I could help you. I love organizing other peoples stuff.
    What'a the name of your band, or is that too private to ask? Do you sing? What instrument do you play?
    Is your WBC up?

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger othur-me said…

    I don't mind organizing that much either, but I much prefer disorganizing.

    Band: www.totaleclipseband.com

    I play keyboard, I can't sing, and my white blood cell count is apparently much better as of Thursday.

    Thanks for asking

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Jester said…

    Jane - You are welcome to help me organize my shit anytime you want.

    Jerry - You realize of course that your love for BB&B is definitely skewing your role as the Straight Guy in my group of friends in an unintended direction. Just keep your love for The Carpenters a secret.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger type1emt said…

    Sell a few of them on Ebay.
    (it won't solve any OCD issues, but it would get rid of them)
    And I think someone needs to start up an Overbuyers Anonymous support group.
    (heck,I'd sure join!)

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger don't call me MA'AM said…

    Not only could you have purchased your hangers at 1/6 the price at Target, you would have gotten 13 of them instead of 12. ;-)

    You can never have enough comforters. They have to match your mood... and season. Buy one of those vacuum storage bag that sucks all the air out of those space-age bags, and voila! More storage space. :-)

     
  • At 2:56 AM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Jester - Um.....hot chicks rock! (That should help). And...I don't think its just BBB. It happens at the grocery store, the hardware store, Men's Warehouse, shoe store, and at the Playboy Magazine stand (not really, but I'm hoping to help increase my Straight Quotient (SQ). BUT....really...I really could find a use for almost everything at BBB.

    Type1EMT - is there really a market for my used bedding on Ebay? I said I was a musician, but I'm not Elvis.

    DCMM - I figured I have enough space in my storage shed so I don't need to worry about the vacuum bags, but I'm sure eventually I will be putting my storage bag filled with comforters inside vacuum bags inside storage bins....I mean, I do know WHERE to get that stuff.

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger mjd said…

    Oh no, you love/hate Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I love the post card coupons offering 20% off one item. I hate that when I use the coupon; they use the address on the coupon to send me a new one. Then, I am enticed more crap that I really do not need.

    I see what you mean.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger othur-me said…

    mjd - yeah, I wasn't even smart enough to wait for the 20% off coupon.

    Jester - also, I think that fact that I purchased 12 hanger for the price of 78 should be a clear indication that I'm straight (and stupid).

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger type1emt said…

    If its clean + in good shape(not torn,etc)-it'll sell.I once saw an Ebay auction for a used toothbrush that had fallen in the toilet,chances of selling your B&B+B stuff have got to be better then that.
    Then again, you could go for a Guiness Book of World Records record.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    I just listened to your band. It made me want to go out and have fun. You guys sound great!

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger othur-me said…

    emt - I have a luffa sponge on a stick that could probably fetch a pretty penny.

    jane - Thanks. We do travel for gigs, but Kentucky is a strictly off limits state as I am no longer allowed back there legally.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.