this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
Here's Where I Dazzle You With My Dual Function Blog
Thursday, August 03, 2006

I will now attempt to tell you the status of my health since yesterday while concurrently proving that my father is senile (if not completely, at least partially).

Cell Phone Transcript from noon today:
Father: Where are you?

Me: At the hospital, where I told you I would be this morning.

Father: What did the doctor say?

Me: Well, he said that he's not too worried about the blood in the urine. Based on the description I gave him, that the blood only came at the very end of urinating and not from start to finish, he said that it was most likely a surgical scab coming off where the ureter meets the bladder and then bleeding into the bladder. If the kidney were bleeding, all of the urine from beginning to end would be red. But, he is worried because my white blood cell count was even lower today and its at a dangerous low right now. If I get a virus, I'll need to hospitalized right away. So he's going to prescribe an injection of Neupogen which is drug that will quickly stimulate the production of white blood cells. They use it alot for HIV and leukemia patients.

Father: Well, what's causing that???

Me: The doctor says that after the transplant, sometimes people slow their production of white blood cells especially considering I've been taking Cellcept which also slows WBC production. It happens all the time, apparently, but some people get it worse. I guess I hit the jackpot. Anyway he wants me to stop taking the Cellcept for awhile.

Father: Yeah, but WHAT'S causing it?

Me: Um....I just told you. I gotta go.

(hang up)

Me: (talking to disconnected phone) I could CHOKE you!



Keep in mind that I work with my father, so we talk on a daily basis. I don't think a single day goes by that he doesn't ask me the same question twice anymore, although they are not usually consecutive as they were above.


posted by othur-me @ 4:43 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    I'm happy for you that the bleeding isn't something serious.......as far as the white blood count goes, that IS serious.....so take care of yourself and get that count up!
    Give your dad a hug. :O)

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger othur-me said…

    Choke, Hug, Whatever....

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Jane said…

    lol

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.