this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
Talent? Shows!
Friday, July 21, 2006
Before I write any further I must make a confession. I am a 30-something straight male, I watch sports, I eat brots, and I leave the toilet seat up (about half the time). Men stuff...basically. My admission to you now is that......I like American Idol. There I said it. I'm not sure if that makes me more feminine in some way, but I'm comfortable with that.

Fox seems to have gotten the talent show genre locked up. They just do it right. The judges are honest, the competitors are real, the talent really is there, and the outtakes are hilarious. I even watch the non-singing version, So You Think You Can Dance. I AM sure that makes me a little more feminine, but whatever, I'll deal with that in therapy if I need to.

I've found the genre particularly appealing because.....well, I'm a musician in a cover band. This has been a hobby of mine since I was very young. Years and years of trying to put and keep bands together requires hours and hours of auditioning. I can tell you from experience the outtakes on AI are very true to life. There loads of people out there that think they can sing that are just simply tone deaf, ignorant, and overly-confident. I have lived my own little AI over my course of playing music. I cannot tell you how many auditions I've been in where the discussion in the room shortly after the person left amounted to "Can you believe how terrible that was?" followed by several sarcastic comments a few rounds of hard laughter. If only I had thought to video tape these, I could have been years ahead of Nigel Lythgow.

The other networks, though have gotten completely insane over this genre, though. One night this week competing networks aired: So You Think You Can Dance, Rock Star: Supernova, Making The One, and America's Got Talent. ALL competing against each other in the same time slots. How many different ways do the networks think they can divide up the pie that is the amount of femininity inside me I'm comfortable with.

Sure, I watched the "sword swallower with wings and platform shoes" on AGT as I was waiting through commercials of So You Think You Can Dance. And, yeah....I stopped watching the baseball game the other night, so I could see the season premier of Making The One, because they suckered me in with all the "see what goes on behind the scenes" crap. And, of course.....the remote automatically stops on any channel that has Brooke Burke on, so I may often catch glimpses of Rock Star: Supernova.

A quick review of each one:
America's Got Talent: Crap
Making The One: Crap
Rock Star-Supernova: Crap
(Will this stop me from watching them? Of course not)

All this usually happens while I'm trying to watch Big Brother, American Idol, Survivor, Real World, Road Rules, Real World/Road Rules Challenge, Solitary, Project Runway, or Battle of The Network Reality Stars. So I may have a problem. Yeah.....the problem is TIVO only records two things at once. HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO WATCH ALL THIS CRAP???? (Forget what it may be doing to my brain)

So, a plea to the networks.....please learn to stagger your programming better so I can watch all the shit you are trying to shove down my throat.

Or better yet....stop airing all this crap completely. Just cut me off!
posted by othur-me @ 11:40 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    I've always been a fan of American Idol, but the audition part of the show is starting to resemble The Jerry Springer Show. If it gets much worse, I'll stop watching.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.