this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
T Minus Zero More Blogs
Sunday, May 07, 2006
This will be my last writing until after I get a new kidney. In less than 36 hours my surgery should be complete and I will be laying in a hospital bed doped up and peeing normally again (as long as you consider through a catheter and from someone else's kidney normal).

Tonight I went out to dinner in what seemed like the grand finale of love fests I've been experiencing over the last couple weeks. My best friend drove in from Reno and I went out to dinner with him, his parents and my parents, all of whom have been friends for about 23 years, but don't see each other enough lately. It was the best one (dinner with a friend to celebrate my new kidney) so far. Mike made the drive from Reno, NV to Foster City, CA in 3 hours and 10 minutes (a very fast time) and arrived late for dinner.

Mike says he's getting divorced. It's not the first time he's said it, but it is the most convincing time. Maybe some time away from his wife (here to help me through my surgery) will change things. We'll see.

"Are you getting scared yet?" seems to be the question of the day. The truth is, I'm not afraid to have surgery or get a new kidney. I'm most afraid to give up control of my life (even for a shor time). I don't want other people doing things for me. I want to do things for myself. It's actually a huge source of tension for me. About 10 years ago, I had what I believed to be a nervous breakdown and it all stemmed from not being in control. I will try to glide through this without caring too much, but I don't think I'll get past it until there are some very good drugs in my system. Bring 'em on. If anyone who knew me was actually reading this, they would probably think that last sentence sounded funny. I don't do drugs....I don't even drink anymore. To hear me say "bring on the drugs" would probably make a lot of people laugh. But......bring em on.

Since I don't want the last words of my last blog before the surgery to read "bring on the drugs" I will type one more paragraph. Good luck, Jerry and Matt. Get healthy, be healthy, stay healthy. Thank you, Matt, I will never be able to re-pay you, and I will never stop trying. I love you Mom, Dad, Shari and Mike, Morgan and Scotty, Mike, Chrissy, Chance, Kai, Louisa, Jim, Elaine and John, Steve and Dawn, all of my friends and family. (Now, bring on the good drugs).
posted by othur-me @ 2:26 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger Jane said…

    I hope all goes well!

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Jester said…

    Jerry --

    As I write this you are either still in surgery, or just wheeled into the recovery room. I didn't even know you had a blog! I have a few comments.. collectively from all the posts so far:
    A) I don't think there's a person who has met you that if able, wouldn't give you a kidney.
    B) Sometimes it's not necessary to 'repay' a debt. Sometimes the ability of the debtee to give to the debtor is reward enough. Matt is doing a great thing, one that is unselfish, and doesn't require restitution. I am a firm believer in karma and the return of the good (and bad) things that you do in your life. (Don't you watch My Name is Earl?! ) Matt will be more than adequately rewarded.
    C) Your friends and family don't want to take any control away from you. You just need to use them as a crutch for a while. As soon as you're back on your feet, I can personally assure you that you'll be moving that big ass bass amp all by yourself. :D

    Good luck and best wishes my friend. We're all thinking about you today. I'll leave a comment in a little while with an update as soon as I find Mike's phone number.

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Jester said…

    Update...

    I received the call a bit ago that Both Matt, and Jerry's surgery went great. The kidney was "beautiful" and it pinked up and began working immediately. Jerry was being moved to recovery and the he'll be moved to his room in a couple of hours.

    Fantastic news!

     
  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger othur-me said…

    jane - thank you, it all went well.

    jester - the blogging is a new thing for me. Thanks for being a good friend.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.