this blog

The ramblings and observations of a kidney transplant recipient, although not necessarily for that reason.

probably smarter than me
book i'm reading
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (recommended by Killer)
awards
Blog Of The Day Awards Winner
Drug Regiment
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
For anyone intersted in what drugs have to be taken by a transplant recipient, this is what I take, starting the day after the surgery:

Study Drug (Immunosuppressant) - 100 mg twice a day
Predisone (Steroid) - tapered dosage starting at 100 mg the first day and down to 5 mg by day 42
Cellcept (Immunosuppressant) - 1000 mg twice a day
Bactrim (Prevents Bacterial Pneumonia) - 1 pill a day
Valcyte (Prevents Viral Infections) - 450 mg every M-W-F, once those days
Nystatin Mouthwash (Prevents Mouth/Throat Fungus) - 5 cc in 10 cc of water, three times daily
Iron Supplement - 325 mg, three times a day
Vitamin C - 500 mg, three times a day
Multivitamin - 1 pill a day
Aspirin - 81 mg, once a day
Metoprolol (Blood Pressure) - 100 mg, twice a day
Minoxodil (Blood Pressure) - 10 mg, twice a day
Pepcid - twice a day
Docusate (stool softener) - twice a day
Lovonox (blood thinner) - 1 injection a day


On MWF when I take more pills than other days (on other days subtract one pill from 8 am), it amounts to:
14 pills at 8 am
14 pills at 11 am
4 pills at 2 pm
6 pills at 6 pm
14 pills at 11 pm
Give myself one injection in the stomach each morning
Rinse, gargle, and swallow mouthwash 3 times a day

UPDATE: On Monday May 15, the doctors added 40 mg of furosemide (water pill) once a day to help with getting rid of some water my body was holding onto. They also increase my study drug to 120 mg.

15 pills at 8 am
16 pills at 11 am
4 pills at 2 pm
6 pills at 6 pm
16 pills at 11 pm
Give myself one injection in the stomach each morning
Rinse, gargle, and swallow mouthwash 3 times a day



UPDATE: On Thursday May 18, they removed the pepsid and docusate because I wasn't having any problems with heartburn or constipation which ususally occur immediately after tranplant surgery. They also cut my minoxodil in half because my blood pressure numbers were "ok". They also increased my study drug to 150 mg.

11.5 pills at 8 am
19 pills at 11 am
4 pills at 2 pm
3.5 pills at 6 pm
19 pills at 11 pm
Give myself one injection in the stomach each morning
Rinse, gargle, and swallow mouthwash 3 times a day

UPDATE: On Friday May 19, done with lovonox injections.

11.5 pills at 8 am
19 pills at 11 am
4 pills at 2 pm
3.5 pills at 6 pm
19 pills at 11 pm
Rinse, gargle, and swallow mouthwash 3 times a day


UPDATE: On Monday May 22, they reduced my study drug to 140 mg twice daily.

11.5 pills at 8 am
18 pills at 11 am
4 pills at 2 pm
3.5 pills at 6 pm
18 pills at 11 pm
Rinse, gargle, and swallow mouthwash 3 times a day

The whole point is to remove as many drugs as possible. The eventual goal is to get down to only the immunsuppressants (you have to take those for life) and most likely I will have to keep some form of blood pressure medication, but my doctors want to get me off minoxodil because they say its not a good drug to take long term.
posted by othur-me @ 10:08 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Jester said…

    I guess saying "take two and call me in the morning" just doesn't cut anymore, huh?

    Doctor! Is there nothing I can take? I say Doctor! To relieve this bellyache? I say Doctor!!!!! Whoo Ooo!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
about me
Name: othur-me
Home: San Francisco-ish, California, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
so good the first time
old stuff
powered by


BLOGGER

© 2005 Immuno-(im?)(de?)(sup?)pressed Template by jester.